So after posting my how to fill a cupcake entry, someone asked me when I’d be posting the chocolate cupcake recipe. I love making this, because the ingredients are so simple (all-purpose flour, hooray!) and pretty much a staple in any baker’s kitchen. This recipe can easily be doubled, but for making a nice dozen, here you go:
Quick Cocoa Cupcakes
1/2 stick salted butter, melted and cooled (if you want to use unsalted, make sure to add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to your dry ingredients)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk (I used 1% and it came out fine)
1/2 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake tin with papers.
2. Put water on to boil.
3. Whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder.
4. Add melted butter, vanilla, egg and milk. Mix for two minutes. Batter will be thick:
5. Add boiling water and mix to combine. Your batter will be thin–this is normal.
6. Fill tins about 2/3 way full and bake at 350 for about 18 minutes. Set onto wire racks to cool (still in cupcake tin) 10 minutes, then turn out and continue to cool.
Pretty easy–and delicious, too.